Woot Detrixhe
Click HERE to Return
It was about this time that this locality began its career as a manufacturing center, by the production of zinc products. In 1845, William T. Roepper, who, 21 years after, became Lehigh University's first Professor of Mineraolgy and Geology, discovered the presence of calamine and blende, ores of zinc, on the Ueberroth farm, in Friedensville. In 1853, in buildings erected on the Luckenbach farm, in Augusta, the first while zinc oxide was produced from these ores. These buildings were destroyed by fire the following December,  but were immediately thereafter rebuilt. In 1855, Samuel Wetherill, Superintendent of these works, succeeded, after long experimentation, in producing spelter, or metallic zinc. But Mr. Wetherill's process proved too expensive to be practical. In the meantime, May 2, 1855, The Penns. And Lehigh Zinc Co., whose corporate title was changed to the Lehigh Zinc Co. in 1860,  was incorporated, with a capital of $1,000,000. In 1859, the then Superintendent, Joseph Wharton, contracted with a Belgian firm for the erection of smelting works, and imported three Belgian expert workers in that branch of the industry.  One of these three Belgian experts was the late Andre Woot Detrixhe, father  of our esteemed townsman, Arthur W. Detrixhe. These works were completed,  at a cost of $85,000, and the first metallic zinc produced in them in July,  1859. In 1865, this Company extended its operations when the first sheet  zinc produced in America was rolled at these works. In 1877, the Zinc Co.  had over 700 names on its pay-rolls, annually consumed 40,000 tons of coal,  and had buildings estimated to have cost in the aggregate $276,000. In 1881,  these works were taken over by the Lehigh Zinc and Iron Co., which added  to its other operations the manufacture of spiegeleisen. A few years ago these works were dismantled and the site is now occupied by the extension of the works of the Bethlehem Steel Co.